Thursday, 27 February 2014

Week 1

So Week 1 is drawing to an end, and it's been a lot more difficult than I thought it would be!

As predicted, being back at work after my week off has been a real test, as it's very much back to reality.  From a work point of view, I used to use my phone for a number of things: I'd set my alarms for the week ahead (my memory for alarms is horrendous); I'd programme in shifts for the next few weeks, or take photos of the rotas to check at my leisure; and I'd use the 3G connectivity to check on travel problems on my route to/from work.  Clearly I can't do any of these things, so the wonder of a diary, and a classic alarm clock have come in really useful.

As far as breaks are concerned, my standard procedure is to sit down and check Facebook/Twitter/Instagram and the BBC News website while eating my lunch (chicken!).  It's not that I'm antisocial and don't want to talk to anyone on my break - more that I'm very rarely on my break at the same time as anyone else - and frankly the itch to see what's going on in the world can sometimes become just too much!  This week it's been very much finding amusement where possible, but actually it has helped me prep bits and pieces for work and reflect on things that are going on, so it's not all that bad!

Can I carry on?  I would definitely say yes.  As much as I'm definitely missing the easy access to the World beyond on breaks, and indeed at home, I'm determined that I can do this.  I've managed to get a whole lot more reading done, and I think I'm still learning things all the time which is refreshing.

And yes, James, I realise that most people are reading this on a smart phone.

What am I missing?

  1. Facebook/Twitter/Instagram
  2. Snapchat!
  3. Traffic updates: as much as I can easily divert to alternative routes where I need to, sometimes the matrix signs don't actually advertise delays or problems until it's too late!
  4. The ease of organising calendars/alarm clocks all from one small device.
What am I gaining from this so far?
  1. It's debatable, but I think I feel a lot more patient.  I don't have to have everything available to me there and then, and I realise that if I am stuck in traffic, there's plenty worse that could happen.
  2. It's making me think, and manage my time better!
  3. Getting a lot more reading done!
  4. I don't feel like a slave to technology anymore (SO FAR!)

No comments:

Post a Comment